Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Admitting Defeat

I'm going to admit something here; self-publishing is not what I thought it would be. I mean, yeah, I knew it would be work. Writing a book was work. But this, this is completely different. Self-publishing ultimately involves self-marketing, and you would not believe the time some of these authors put behind that.
I'm overwhelmed.
I'm hearing about ads and websites and giveaways and promos and other words I've never even heard. I thought I was internet savvy. I thought I could find my way around a computer easy peasy. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. 



I've had to sign up for more sites than I have in the last five years combined. My email is blowing up. In fact, I had to make a new email just for the book. There's Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, LinkedIn, Blogger, Wordpress, Google+...I could go on. I don't even know how to use Twitter, much less remember to. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I have no idea what I'm doing. Last night I spent hours reading information on buying ads, and then reading contracts for said ads. Do I buy an ad with Google? Do I buy an add with Facebook? Where can I best reach my demographic? 
So. Confused.


If only I had known these things beforehand. Not that I wouldn't have self-published, because honestly, it's nice being in control, but I just wish I was more aware of the resources out there to help self-pub authors. Because there are so many. It's mind-boggling. 

I'm admitting defeat, but I'm not giving up.
Today commences day two of non-stop research for me and cartoons for Aubrey. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment