Friday, April 26, 2013

Books for Thought

Before Kindles became popular, the only type of books I would read were sci-fi/fantasy, dystopian, paranormal, steampunk, etc., etc. I wasn't a fan of fluffy romances or angsty/drama filled stories. I wanted depth and plotting and thought provoking stuff. You know, the stuff that is so incredibly detailed and informative that you might have to re-read the book just to absorb it all.

But then something happened.

After swearing up and down that I would never own a Kindle, I caved. Well, that's not necessarily true. I actually don't own one, believe it or not. My mom got one for Christmas one year and I sneakily confiscated it. And for a while, my anti-mushy trend continued. And then I read one book that changed it all. I was craving something relatable, something with a character my age with problems like mine. I was just about to graduate high school and was facing decisions like choosing a college; stay or go, big or small, public or private, majors and loans and all that boloney. I picked up a book that caught my eye (which, let's face it, is almost every book) and I was hooked.


It's not like the story was amazing, or the writing flawless. But it was my first read like it, and so the story has stuck with me since then. And it opened a floodgate. I wanted more and for a time, it was all I read. Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, Jennifer Echols. Heck, even Nicholas Sparks and I had a thing. It's not like the content was riveting or thrilling or blood-rushing. It was just...enjoyable. Easy. Light. Fun.

But then I came across another problem; the characters were either too young or too old (no offense.) I didn't have anything in common with a sixteen year old just finding love, or a thirty five year old getting divorced, and so I strayed away from the romance and back to my old stomping grounds; back to the characters fighting for their lives and giving me a panic attack in the process.

Until now.

Now there's this whole new genre (well, I don't know how new it is) and they're calling it NA. The characters? Between the ages of 18-25 (usually.) Their problems? Whatever problems 18-25 year olds face! WAHOO! Needless to say, the genre has exploded, and almost every book I have read recently has fallen under that category. I am proud to say that even though I have caved and began using a Kindle, I only use it to read books that aren't traditionally published, or aren't originally offered in hard copy. I still buy books, and I still sniff the pages and refuse to crease the corners. Yeah, I'm that guy girl.

This weeks hardcopy read is: (drum roll please)

If you want to read something that will blow your mind and keep you up until the wee hours of the morning, read this series. Or better yet, don't. It will drive you mad with wonder.

And this week's Kindle read is:


*If you click on the pictures, they will lead you to the books Goodreads website. 

What are you currently reading? Is it on Kindle or hardcopy? And which do you prefer? 


No comments:

Post a Comment