Thursday, April 11, 2013

Say What You Need to Say

So lately there has been a lot of hullabaloo going around about writing reviews. I guess the whole, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all, adage is being taken pretty seriously. Not just in the kindergarten classroom, but on websites such as Goodreads and Amazon as well.

And, like, I guess I understand. You write a book, you spend hours and months and years putting all of this effort into these words that will be out there for the world to see, and then someone goes and bad mouths the crap out of you to their mom and their friends, who tell their hair stylists, who tell their daughters, who tell their friends- you get the idea.
It sucks. I get it.
But, honestly, it should  be expected. Not everyone is going to love you or your writing.

You could be the juciest peach in the world, and there will still be someone who doesn't like peaches.

I just love that saying, because it's so frikkin' true. And when you put it like that- well, there's just not a damn thing you can do about it. This is my theory.
I wrote a book. I wrote a book that uses curse words, has drug use and underage drinking, has sexual situations- not everyone is going to like my book. I'm not going to expect my pastor's wife to pick up this book and be like, best book ever!
No.
Someone out there won't like the way I write. They'll hate my run-on sentences or the fact that I named my character Logan. They'll think it's so completely cliche and unrealistic. They'll write a review about it, tell all of their friends, post it on their Facebook page...











It's just not worth it to get mad. Will it change their minds? Will they all of the sudden like my book and take back their honest review?
No.
I know that when I spend my money and my time on a book with all of these wonferful reviews, and it turns out to be awful, I get mad.













I feel like I've been lied to, betrayed. It makes me want to throw my kindle against a wall, and anything that makes me want to cause bodily harm to one of my most prized possessions is worth my nasty review.
It's not like I'll give a bad review because I didn't like how it ended. I won't even give a bad review if I don't like the story. If the writing is terrible, the dialogue grotesquely boring/unrealistic, the grammar atrocious, then I'll give it a bad review.

Readability. It's not too much to ask for, is it?
I don't think so.
I say, that if you want to leave a negative review, than so be it. Take it as constructive criticism, have a good laugh, and call it a day. If anything, it gives me an excuse to eat some ice cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment