Friday, June 7, 2013

Take a Chance (On Me)

So, a few posts ago I talked about a book that I wrote last year that I'm trying to get traditionally published. I've sent it to at least fifteen different agencies, six of which I'm still waiting to hear from and about six of which gave me straight up no's. As for the other three? No response, which I guess is their way of saying no.

The thing about this whole process is that it's entirely subjective. Most agents won't pick up something they're not personally interested in because they feel like they won't be able to market it properly. That doesn't necessarily mean that nobody will be interested in it, particularly the would-be buyers. At this point, so early on in the game, it's easy to give up. It's easy to put it aside and forget about it (like I have done for the past few months.) It's not that the no's get to me on a personal level. They really don't, surprisingly. It's just that taking the time to put together queries and synopsis(es?) for each and every agent is a lot of work. More work than the actual writing the book part, believe it or not.

Its' times like this, when I'm obsessively checking my email, waiting for a subject line to read RE: Query: Originals, that I begin to wonder if I should just suck it up and self-publish again. If I should forget about the dream of seeing my name on a bookshelf in Barnes and Noble and get it out there sooner rather than later. What can I say? I'm impatient.

As of right now, I will continue to query agents in the hopes that one will take a chance on somebody like me; a beginner, a technical nobody, a barely college student with no degrees or certificates or hardly an life experience.

That's not the way I see myself, of course. In my eyes Originals is the best damn YA apocalyptic/sci-fi book to grace the face of the earth. I realize I'm a tad bit biased, of course, and try to take a realistic approach to the world of publishing. But really, who knows what could happen? Anything is possible, right? Right?

Toxic is continuing to do well, nothing really exploding on the sales end, but I didn't really expect it to. It's a slow trickle, the methodic drip-drop of water from the bathroom sink in the middle of the night. (I finally revised the contents and the cover, making it read and look more professional.)
Tailspin is in the middle of a major brick-wall. It's hard writing from the perspective of a guy when you're not actually a guy, so I've often times found myself highlighting and deleting until there's almost nothing left. It's frustrating, but at the same time, I know that I'm learning as I go. (Cover in the works...still...possibly forever. I hate stock photography with a burning passion.)

Even though it's Friday, I'll let you know what I'm reading since I'm always reading. Especially on rainy days like this. (What's up with this weather, anyways? Sunshine state my ass.)

Hardback read:

This book has received an insane amount of positive reviews, which makes me leery yet excited to read it. In my experience, books with high ratings doesn't necessarily mean high quality. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough. 
 
Kindle read:
 
Not gunna lie, I picked this one up mostly for it's cover. Oh, and it was free. It's a YA sci-fi, which used to be all I read, so I'm definitely excited about it, despite the 3.5 out 5 stars rating.                         
 
Hope your weekend is exciting! And maybe not as rainy as mine is predicted to be. TGIF?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment